H&R Fact Sheet
We look at your life through tax…and find ways to help.
H&R Block is a global consumer tax services provider, preparing 1 in every 7 U.S. tax returns, having prepared more than 730 million tax returns by and through retail locations and digital solutions since 1955. There are approximately 12,000 company-owned and franchise retail locations in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories, on U.S. military bases around the world, and in Canada, Australia and India. An H&R Block branded retail office is located within five miles of most Americans.
In the U.S., H&R Block’s affiliates and franchise network employ over 103,000 people. More than 23 million tax returns worldwide were prepared by and through H&R Block in fiscal 2016.
Serving taxpayers with approximately 12,000 retail offices and digital tax solutions
- H&R Block clients prepared more than 7.4 million tax returns through our digital solutions in 2016
- H&R Block’s digital business has been serving do-it-yourself clients for more than 16 years
More than 80,000 highly trained tax office professionals worldwide
- A typical client is served by an H&R Block tax professional with about 7 years of experience and hundreds of hours of training
- Our tax professionals progress through a 14-level certification program, culminating in master tax advisor status
- To be re-hired, H&R tax professionals must complete at least 18 hours of continuing education annually
- H&R Block’s tax professionals are trained on systems, policies and procedures that require an additional 29 hours of training for new tax professionals and an additional 17 hours of training annually for returning tax professionals
- Our tax professionals have access to The Tax Institute at H&R Block, staffed primarily by CPAs, Enrolled Agents, tax attorneys and former IRS agents
- TTI is the company’s independent research group that provides objective information and analysis on the real-world implications of tax policies and proposals on individuals and small businesses
Serving the military
- H&R Block has tax offices on nearly 100 U.S. military bases around the world and continues to grow
- More than 20 percent of active, reserve and Department of Defense civilian employees used H&R Block for tax preparation in 2016
- More than 3,000 military spouses and Wounded Warriors took H&R Block’s 2014 Income Tax Course for free, which enables them to pursue careers as H&R Block tax preparers
History of excellence
H&R Block hasn’t forgotten its Main Street roots as it has grown from a hometown company to a global firm. Brothers Henry W. Bloch and Richard A. Bloch founded the company in 1955 based o culture of providing superior client service and a pledge to stand behind their work.